Sunday Club Rides
- The Sunday Club Rides depart from Kings Square, USUALLY at 09:00 – but please check the Events Calendar, News and/or Facebook because some longer rides start earlier, and sometimes weather or roadworks force a late change.
- Newcomers should introduce themselves to the Ride Leader or Club Captain/Vice Captain who will suggest which group is suitable. Newcomers can attend two GCCC organised rides (including chain gangs) as a non member. For rides after this they will be required to join. Membership forms will be available at these events and can be found on line here.
- There may be 50+ riders in Kings Square, going in perhaps several groups ranging from very easy (AA) to very quick (Sports). The Ride(s) in the Calendar will go, and depending on numbers and preferences there may be extra Rides. The aims are to give everyone the Ride they want and to keep each group to a reasonable size.
- Note that if there is a Sports Ride it will NOT follow Club Ride rules; they do not regroup and they do not usually stop for coffee. Sports riders need to be capable of 20+ mph bunch riding for at least 3 hours. Training Rides, usually held in the weeks preceding the racing season, may be even more demanding than Sports Rides hence are only for the Club’s racers. Check out a video of the Tuesday night Chain Gang
- There are some simple conventions for bunch riding (see, for example, here) which new riders will soon pick up.
- Club Rides aim to be at the coffee stop between 11:00 and 11:30. Usually some riders will choose to go back to Gloucester from coffee, while the Club Ride itself will stay out for a further ride to a pub for lunch before heading home.
- The Club Ride will keep together, making sure to regroup at junctions and hilltops. Special care will be taken of young riders (see our Young Riders Policy, included on Page 2 of the Membership Application), weaker riders or newcomers.
- If you leave the Club ride, please choose riding companions of similar ability or make sure you are happy to return on your own. Please tell the Ride Leader you are leaving the ride or everyone will be waiting while he/she looks for you …. which is embarrassing
- There are a few season long competitions associated with the Club rides, which can be viewed here.
Club Ride Classifications
Press the buttons for examples of typical routes and profiles. Note profiles are stretched to fit the space; mouseover to see the real incline.
Flat, easy pace, open invitation ride typically 15 – 20 miles to coffee.
Easy(ish) possibly a few gentle climbs; some experience necessary, typically 20 to 25 miles to coffee.
Hills, experience and stamina necessary; maybe some light off-road stuff, up to 30 miles to coffee.
Long ride requiring very good stamina and food supplies (check with Captain for details). Up to 100+ miles over the day.
Midweek Social Rides
- The Midweek Rides depart from Kings Square at 7 pm, but please check the Events Calendar, News and/or Facebook because weather or roadworks sometimes force a late change.
- The difficulty level can vary considerably, even though the ride always goes at a moderate pace for typically about 1.5 hours to one of a selection of the best pubs within a 15 – 20 radius of Gloucester.
- Anywhere in the Cotswolds will involve some climbing, whereas North or South in the Severn Valley can be much easier – so pick your destination!
- Occasionally an MTB option is available too.
- Full lighting must be fitted, even in Summer. You will probably be coming home in the dark on quiet country lanes.
- Occasionally there is an off-bike event instead, such as a quiz.