- This event has passed.
April 7 @ 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm
An early evening chain gang ride for members only on roads North of Gloucester. Although the aim is to get back before dusk please ensure that you have lights when needed. Early season rides will cut across the river Severn at Haw Bridge and return via Ashleworth. As the evenings lengthen a longer route on the A38 to Tewkesbury, A438, B4211 and A417 will be used. This shorter route will also be used for a ladies’ chain gang that will leave after the men’s group. It’s a full on fast ride for 23 miles from Longford to Tewkesbury & back to Maisemore via Corse Lawn designed for riders capable of keeping up with serious amateurs for 20+ miles. Groups will split into different abilities as required but if you drop off you must be able and willing to find your own way home. Watch the video here.
British Cycling has advised that organized groups of fifteen are permitted under the Government’s regulations, but the Committee considers this too many to ride together on open roads, not least because of the obstruction it could cause to motor traffic. Instead, we shall ride in smaller groups, the size and composition of which will be decided by the ride leaders at the meeting point. At the meeting point, and any stops along the route, guidelines on social distancing will still apply so please do not approach other riders too closely.
Note that although this is race training the rules of the road still apply. Be courteous to other road users and ease the pace when going through built up areas. Remember:
- It’s not a race, it’s training
- Try and keep it to groups of no more than eight, even if it means three groups
- Everyone should work together but ride through smoothly and ease off when you come off the front
- Set off at two minute intervals and make sure each group waits for everyone in the group to get across the first roundabout
- Don’t start the chain until past Twigworth
- It’s for members only
- Ease up through Tewkesbury town and when you meet the A417 at Corse
- Have fun and be safe